Wednesday 1 June 2022

Caravan Holiday - Adaminaby

 We were heading from Cooma to Tumut - over The Snowy Mountain Road, but things don't always go to plan.

The cars that were passing us on the road were covered in snow - this seemed strange as there was no snow where we were and it was a sunny day..  They not only had snow on their vehicles, but thick snow, which was falling off in chunks.. okaayyyy - looks like we might see snow today.  We did pass a car upside down off the side of the road.. 

Wayne has never seen snow so he was getting a bit excited..

We came to the town of Adaminaby and stopped for lunch.  While we were there, we struck up a conversation with some of the workers from the Snowy Mountain Hydro - the second one that is being built.  They were saying how they have all been sent home due to the road being dangerous from all the over-night snow fall and the windy conditions. The upturned car was from one of their workmates and hence another reason they had the day off.  I believe the guy was ok because he didn't seemed concerned about his mate.   Wayne and I debated what to do - crossing over to Tumut this way would have taken an hour (without bad conditions), to drive around the mountain, was going to take a minimum four hours, and we would have to backtrack to Cooma.  I left the decision to Wayne, and he said he would rather take his time than take chances.  

Before we left to take the new route, I took some photos.



Bit stakerish, but this house was so cute...
I had to be very careful crossing the road as it was very slippery and cold, and I did not want a wet butt.
I wish I had taken a photo of Wayne with his first experience with the snow - He threw a ball of snow at my car window and it nearly (over exaggeration) broke the window..  He also threw some snow up in the air and head butted it.  I have always said I had 6 children and not 5.   Oh I forgot - there is a 'Big Fish' here - a trout, I think..  Too cold - I took the photo and got back in the car..
I'm glad we came here even if it was not the way we should have taken - it was so pretty. 
Now we head to Tumut, via Canberra..
Cheers
xxx


No comments: